With the workout ‘Murph’ rearing its head this week, and the sheer time that it took me to complete, it had me thinking about my abilities as an Owner/Coach of a Crossfit Gym.
Shouldn’t I be able to complete this workout RX…. wearing a 14lb weight vest. Would people think less of me because I struggled with this workout…. both mentally and physically? For those of you that do not know what ‘Murph’ is, it is a 1 mile run, 100 pull-ups, 200 push-ups, 300 air squats and another 1 mile run to finish.
However, after finishing the workout (RX but with no additional weight) I spent some time contemplating what qualities it takes to be a good coach, and, as Bow Valley CrossFit continues to grow, what would I be looking for when hiring additional coaching staff. Would the first thing I looked for be; complete ‘Murph’, wearing a weight-vest in under an hour? Absolutely not, this probably wouldn’t make the list, period.
As someone who always preaches to others to think about their ’bright spots’ and celebrate the good, I decided to compile a list of reasons why I am a great coach and what I can promise you should you choose to trust me with your fitness journey:
- I will always know your name and greet you with a smile.
- When I ask you how your day/week was, I truly mean it and am not just trying to make meaningless conversation.
- I celebrate your achievements with you, I love getting home at night and sharing your success stories with Chase (my husband).
- I will always make time to be there for you through the good times and the challenging times.
- I genuinely want you to enjoy your time at Bow Valley CrossFit and feel like the investment you have made into your health is a valuable one.
- I care about your safety, therefore when I ask you to move in a different way, it’s not to be annoying. I don’t want you to get hurt, I want you to be able to come back the next day.
- I invest time and money into strategic programming. The workouts are designed specifically to help you guys improve and remain injury free.
- I practice what I preach…. I wouldn’t make you do a workout that I wouldn’t.
- I invest in continuing education so that I can keep my credentials current and up-to-date.
- I invest my time into Bow Valley CrossFit not because it pays me a ridiculously great wage but because I am passionate about health and wellness and want to share my knowledge.
- When I’m not coaching, I spend time brainstorming how to improve the experience for you and your family members.
- I understand that CrossFit can be intimidating which is why I try so hard to make Bow Valley CrossFit a hub for inclusiveness and encouragement.
- I have my own coach, both business and weightlifting, …. because I too want to become the best version of myself.
Can I do Murph in a weight vest, heck no, but what I can do is strive to be the best possible coach and to help you and your family members become the best versions of yourselves.